The Refectory Manager

The refectory . . . A place to nourish the soul. A place to share the savory comestibles, the sweet confections, the salty condiments of the things that matter. A place to ruminate the cud of politics. A place to rant on the railings of religion. A place to arrange the flowers of sanguine beauty. A place to pause in the repose of shelter. Welcome, my friend. The Refectory Manager

My Photo
Name:
Location: College Place, Washington, United States

Monday, November 17, 2008

Assumptions

Checking into and out of a hotel is my way of life. Life on the road. Ten days at a time. So the little things start to matter. Like finding a luggage cart.

I have been in and out of this hotel now for nearly 10 weeks. I know they have only one luggage cart. I know where it is supposed to be.

Tonight, the first trip in was with the tote-cart, computer as my life, and all. Get the magnetic thingy from the registration desk that lets me into a room. Which room this time? I do forget after awhile. No luggage cart in the usual place.

A little later, another trip in. This time with four cloth bags with handles. Handy for a lot of loose stuff like paper plates, plastic wear, DVDs and the other essentials of hotel life. No luggage cart in the usual place.

It is still fairly early, so I go to the Mexican restaurant over, across the way. Too far to walk, although I should. Early enough so I can eat a little something hot and not have heartburn all night. When I get back. No luggage cart in its usual place.

O.K. So some “guest” just left it somewhere. Now to go on a search and rescue mission.

Before hitting the elevator button, I took a leaning glance up and down the first-floor causeway. No luggage cart in sight.

“Can I help you?” This immaculately dressed, rather substantial, tastefully made-up lady asks me as she walks toward me.

She didn’t quite look like hotel staff. Assumptions. But her assertive nature made me think she might know something about something.

“I’m trying to find the luggage cart.” As I point to the place where it is supposed to be.

“I don’t work here. But I have lots of gifts for the lady in your life! I am from Mary Kay.”

Assumptions!

It does happen. Sometimes I do things that promote assumptions. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I just can’t help it. It is just the way that it is.

Like the Saturday morning a couple of years or so ago. Doing some kind of little errands at a nearby strip mall, and happened to notice a bagel shop.

What the heck. Fresh bagels. Sounds like it could hit the spot.

Stood in line, waited my turn. Ordered two of something. Gave bills. Got bag. Change. Receipt. Walking out the door. Change feels wrong. Check it out to see if I have been shorted or something. Assumptions.

And the change was more than it should be.

Now I will have to go back in and make it right with them.

But I look at the receipt.

Senior Discount!

Damn! Assumptions! She ASSUMED I needed a senior discount!

I’m that bad? That fossilized? That weathered? That stooped? That feeble? Stumbling that close to the Grim Reaper?

She ASSUMED I needed a senior discount!

Truth is, I was about a month the other side of 60 at that point. Close. But that only counts in hand grenades, horse shoes and slow dancing.

And now, I didn’t know if I should be mad because she assumed I warranted a senior discount when I didn’t but apparently looked the part, or happy that she insults me and saved me a few coins.

So now, what am I to suppose to assume about her?

But back to the Mary Kay rep.

Don’t know if she really did a surveillance check on me or not. I’ve heard that some women are pretty good at doing that kind of thing. Kind of like a feministo use of techniques of gay-dar. But if she did, there was no left 4th-finger ring to observe. No rings of any kind.

So just what kind of “lady in my life” does she think I have? Especially the kind where I would want to buy the delicate little Mary Kay smelly thingies?

I suppose the innocent thing to think would be a mother. But that might be a stretch to assume. Apparently I look the well-established age where senior discounts for bagels are quite the norm.

But without a ring, what other kind of lady might there be? And what kind of assumption makes an assumption about assumptions like that?

I suppose I looked kind of stunned when she asked me that. It did take me momentarily off my guard.

The elevator door opened so I could look for luggage carts on another floor.

I bit my check. “Lady, if you only knew!”

And I don’t know any cross-dressers.

The Refectory Manager

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home