The Refectory Manager

The refectory . . . A place to nourish the soul. A place to share the savory comestibles, the sweet confections, the salty condiments of the things that matter. A place to ruminate the cud of politics. A place to rant on the railings of religion. A place to arrange the flowers of sanguine beauty. A place to pause in the repose of shelter. Welcome, my friend. The Refectory Manager

My Photo
Name:
Location: College Place, Washington, United States

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Those Pesky Homophones

As one who has been known drop a double negative or two at the grammarian’s picnic, I do find myself getting the proper and correct sequence of alphabetic characters with the necessary corresponding interjected white space all lined up in some order of sensible English.

[A discourse on blog I frequent was ongoing about the difficulties that some people, and especially non-native English speakers have, with the English language.]

And it is those homonyms and homphones that get me into trouble. And yeah! Those pesky heteronyms and polysemes and capitonyms. They’ll for sure wrap/rap themselves around my axle/axil in knots/nots that will make a pair/pare of twisted shorts look like a love fest/nest of my favorite rock group: Jacque Strawp and his All Elastic Band.

As one snarky blogger wrote once, "If it is spelled correctly---it's a typo"

And spell checker just ends up making a fool out of me.

Back in my teaching days, it never failed, I would be writing/righting on the chalk board and getting “bowl” and “bowel” mixed up in the most inappropriate ways. For I taught both nutritional physiology and culinary cuisine . . . to some of the same students!

And when I do catch myself making some horrendous gaffe in spelling, usually when it is too/to/two late to do anything about it, I just think of old President Andrew Jackson. Bless him! For with him, "It's a darn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word."

My father once told me that his English teacher at Canadian Junior College back in the ‘40’s said that there were five distinct grammatical errors in the following sentence. I think she had this as a test question. I can spot a couple, but five? And that sentence, if it even qualifies as a sentence: “Them’s them.”

And “as far as”, or horrors! “All the farther” along this line of spelling graffiti, there are some nuggets/nougats of thought.

"Justice is not spelled 'Just Us'---Power concedes nothing without demands." Frederick Douglas

And "Can you spell community without unity?"

But for me, I just give up. "Can't spell worth tish…"

The Refectory Manager

Oh! And check out Wikipedia about those nasty homophones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonym

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home